Boracay’s popularity as one of the premier beach playgrounds of Asia is mainly due to its beautiful 4 km. stretch of powder-white sand lined with Coconut trees that seem to bend out of their way to provide shade to beachcombers.
It is popularly known as “White Beach” and within its confines you will find a long sandy promenade filled with Hotels, restaurants serving various international cuisines, spas, trendy boutiques, craft shops, cozy beach bars, lively discos, sensuous massage centers and water sports outlets. Here’s a list of the things you should not miss especially on your first visit to Boracay:
10 things a 1st time visitor must do on Boracay
1. Get a Boracay Tan. Grab your sun block and suntan lotion and head out to the
beach for a quick tan. You’d want to fit into the island vibe as quickly as possible.
2. Shop at the Talipapa in your bikini/speedo. It is an outdoor market where you can buy souvenirs, paintings, t-shirts, tie-dyed sarongs, etc. while still dripping wet from a quick dip at the beach.
3. A full day trip of picnicking and snorkeling around the island by local boat. This is popular among travelers and can be easily arranged. These trips usually include island hopping, a picnic lunch set in an isolated beach and a visit to the northern caves, home of the giant fruit bats and other sites of interest.
4. Try a new water sport. There are plenty that are being offered in the island. From the standard Jet ski, Hobie Cat Sailing, Diving and Windsurfing to the more extreme like Wakeboarding, Parasailing, and Kite boarding.
5. Get into the island spirit by getting a Henna tattoo or have your hair braided into cornrows. You will find a lot of these artistic entrepreneurs at the Talipapa and D’Mall.
6. Boracay Yachting. Tamarind is a 40 foot yacht stationed off Boracay Island. It is fully equipped to ensure ocean going safety and comfort for either day excursions or extended Philippine tours. It departs from Nigi NigiNu Noos Boracay Resort at 11:00 a.m. and returns at Sunset with unlimited drinks, an alfresco lunch, snorkeling equipment and an opportunity to learn the basics of sailing.
7. Enjoy a cocktail or a fruit shake while people watching. The best place to do this is at the Nigi Nigi Too Beachfront Bar. At the end of the day, watch the spectacular sunsets from Nigi Nigi Too Beachfront bar. They offer large variety of tropical cocktails and refreshing juices and it is a relaxing place to start your evening.
8. Fine Dining. Take advantage of the various international cuisines available in Boracay. Have a romantic, candle-lit dinner alone the beach if possible.
9. Massage and Spa. Get a relaxing massage right along the beach.
10. Take a stroll along the 4 km. white beach and bring a camera with you. You never know what interesting finds await you in this Paradise island.
Other Boracay Beach activities
Wall Climbing: This is a very challenging and fun adventure that you can try for an outdoor activity in the island. You have 2 options whether you will do it in Patio Pacific which they have the 11 meter rock wall that can brign you fun and challenge or do it in D’mall the center point of Boracay and it called the D’wall which kids love it. So, don’t miss it!
Horse back riding: Try and explore the rest of the Island by Horseback riding around Bolabog area and take a quick peek of Mt. Luho.
There is a viewing Deck area on the Island where you can see the panoramic views of the whole island and some neighboring sea bays or enjoy the long white sand beach around Fridays.
Tour the island in true native style with horseback riding to the highest viewpoint, and white sand beaches, good for all ages! - 10% off published rate—starting P500 per hour
Kayaking: Everybody wants to try this newest adventure before thinking to leave the Island. Kayak is the newest thing that could bring a lot of fun to everybody.
Paddle along the famous white beach shore or take a day trip into the rivers and jungles of mainland malay for sheer adventure! 5% off published rates— P500 per hr or P4,500 whole day trip to mainland river and water falls inc transportation.
Biking: Biking is a growing sport in so many areas right now and in short competitions are very common. Bike is also a common mode of transportation in the Island right now. Exploring the Island on it s powdery white sand on a pedal mountain bike is a great adventure and enjoyment that could bring to everybody who loves it on the Island.
Para Sailing / Yachting: Don’t miss it! You’re ultimate sailing adventure. You can go on a day trip, sailing over to point where you can go snorkeling and some adventure trips and stop over’s. Sunset cruise and is one of the best in sailing and yachting and see the whole Island.
Full moon cruise is also available every month which is everybody loves to go with it! Sail the waves with a 42ft sailing yacht, perfect for sunset sailing with food and drinks on board, charter by the hour, cruise’s or day trips—10% off published rates— P1,500 pp sunset cruise (3hrs)
Island hopping / Boating: Touring around the Island to explore its beauty of the blue water is a very fascinating adventure. By boat, you can get to the Crocodile island which everybody can enjoy snorkel that you can do fish feeding and you can even swim with a company of fishes and even experience to see the colorful corals and sponges.
Tour the whole island on crystal waters to surrounding islands, venture to remote beaches and picnic under palm trees— 5% off published rate—starting P1,800 (1-6pax) 3 hours
Banana Boat & Parasailing: This water adventure sports are available on the famous whole white beach which everybody can enjoy the breathtaking excitement. Banana boat ride is best with big waves while parasailing is best times are on t he high season during the northern monsoon where white beach sea is calm and quite.
Thrill seek with an adrenaline rush on the water with your friends! Hold on and scream for speed! 30mins of fast fun! 5% off published rate—P250.00 pp (15mins) min 5pax
Wind Surfing & Kite Surfing: Wind surfing and kite surfing adventures are best with strong winds and big waves conditions from December to February in a year during the monsoon season starts. Bulabog beach at Boracay Island is the best kite surf destination in the whole Asia.
Scuba Diving: Is one of the most popular recreational sports in the Philippines, and every dive shops have a translation in some different languages like Korean, French and even German.
Variety of dive sites can be found in this beautiful Island where beginners and professionals’ divers can enjoy exploring the underwater treasures and marine sanctuary life, and it’s an opportunity to see fishes, corals, sponges and some other life that we need to preserve for the next generations.
Discover the underground garden of corals and fish life in the clear underwater world. Fun dives, one day course and PADI courses available— 5% off published rate—P1,750 (45min fun dive) P23,000 (3-4 days PADI open water course)
Golf: It’s only available at the Fairways and Blue water in Barangay Yapak of Boracay. Normally it’s only open for the members but still you can play even you are still a beginner, so if you are interested then you can and visit Fairways and check what package suites your lifestyle.
Motorbike / ATV (All Terrain Vehicles): By motorbike you can get and cross to one point to another and to see the whole island of Boracay in an easy way of adventure. Taking a ride of ATV from the other side up to the end of the Island will be a lot of fun and challenged especially in some rough roads and uphill route area.
You can even take this up to Mt. Luho the highest peak of Boracay, but of course you have to be careful enough while driving and try to avoid doing racing along rough roads and muddy area when it is raining for your safety. Motorbike is one of the mode of transportation on the Island now because it can get easily even to narrow road.